The river traffic in Ukraine is a topical issue of increasing importance. The Dnieper River is expected to regain its position in the near future and therefore it will become one of the country’s major thoroughfares, competing with rail and road transportation. The geographic proximity of river routes to the industrial and agricultural enterprises allows us to say about strong potential of cargo transportation by river in the coming years.
Subjects to be highlighted:
- Economy of river transportation. Is it possible to reduce transportation costs in terms of river dues, pilotage, lockage and bridge opening
- Fleet. What is the market trend – order of newbuildings or free call of foreign vessels?
- Cargoes. Competitiveness of river logistics for cargo owners.
- Transportation. Export, import or transit: what should transport companies be staking on?
- Infrastructure. Whether the handling capacities of river ports and terminals meet the requirements of cargo owners?
Preliminary program of the conference:
Session 1. Development of freight traffic on Dnieper River
- The Dnieper River is a new traffic artery of Ukraine. What changes should be expected in the market after the Law on inland waterways enters into force.
- Cargo transportation by river as an alternative to rail and road transportation.
- International shipments – main waterway E-40 Dnieper - Wisla.
Session 2. Cargo flows. Existing experience and growth prospects
- Mining and metallurgical cargoes.
- Chemicals and fertilizers.
- Grain and agricultural cargoes.
- Timber and construction materials.
- General and package cargoes, containers.
- Oil cargoes.
Session 3. Dnieper River infrastructure
- Terminal current capacities.
- Prospects for dredging of the Dnieper River channel.
- Plans on the expansion and construction of transshipment complexes.
Session 4. Shipbuilding & Fleet
- The current situation on the market for small-tonnage fleet.
- Involvement of vessels flying the foreign flag.
- Prospects for the construction of river ships, barges and tugs.